With the color blocking madness still soaring high, you might want to step out of your comfort zone and go-with-the-flow this summer. The idea with color blocking is to wear strategically placed COMPLIMENTARY yet contrasting BOLD colors in one outfit. After experimenting (with my wardrobe), I’ve outlined a couple of tips that proved useful…
TIP 1: SEPARATES VS BUILT-INS
It makes a bolder statement and ’less tacky’ to actually use separates to build an outfit, not just a single garment with 3 stacked colors built-in. Here’s what I mean…
Tip 2.: QUICK THEORY FROM THE COLOR WHEEL
When selecting colors to pair off;
- pick a color you really want to wear
- consult the color wheel for complimentary colors (neighboring colors within the color wheel)
- pair it off with nude accessories (you don’t want to look like you slipped off a rainbow)
select colors from cross sections of the color wheel (warm and cool sections) example; pink and turquoise. It’s very important that colors you choose COMPLIMENT each other.
You could use two neighboring colors (blue and purple) and throw in a ‘sharp contrasting’ yet complimentary color such as the green jacket in the outfit below…
TIP 3: PLAY WITH IT!
- Limit yourself to working with 2 – 3 colors
- Use a neutral shades to downplay your flaws and bold colors to enhance your curves in certain places
Most importantly, don’t be shy to experiment!